Whole spelt vegan scones with strawberry or raspberry jam and coconut whipped cream. The perfect quick and easy dessert to enjoy with a cup of tea.
This recipe is the really basic, vegan version of classic scones. You can add dried fruit or chocolate buttons if you like or make it a savoury with herbs and spices.
500g spelt flour
260ml nut or soy milk
60g coconut oil
2.5tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1. Turn the oven on to 220C or 200C fan forced.
2. Melt the coconut oil and pop aside.
3. Sift the flour. If you’re using whole spelt flour, you may end up with the larger bits caught in the sift at the end. Just pop those in with the sifted flour too.
4. Add the baking powder, coconut oil and salt to the flour. Give it a mix and make a well to pour the milk in.
5. Add the milk and gently combine with your hands or a butter knife. Scones are delicate little beings. Don’t over mix it.
6. Pop the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll it out to about 1.5cm thick.
7. Cut it into round shapes. I normally use a small glass cup for this.
8. Oil your tray or baking dish with coconut oil and place the scones in it. Leave room for them to expand, about 2cm between them. You can use milk to glaze them if you like.
9. Place in the oven. They only need 5-10 minutes in there, until they’re well risen.
10. Serve with jam and coconut cream.
Coconut Whipped Cream:
Sometimes I use @naturescharm coconut whipping cream, sometimes I just buy a can of coconut cream, place in the fridge over night, scoop off the thick layer of cream formed at the top and beat it with a little sugar until it forms a nice creamy consistency.